This time of year makes me miss college. I mean, just look at that. Gorgeous. The leaves have been late to change color here in the present, but they're finally in full swing, and it makes the chill weather worth withstanding.
1. Pumpkin tres leches cake??!??!? Stop it.
2. In the post Halloween spirit, a story about zombies in Haiti that's the most compelling writing I've read on the internet all week.
3. The Chicago Reader's moving piece on the tragic death of a cyclist.
4. Chicago-made Co-Op Sauce hot sauces are taking over my fridge. And my life. You may have noticed the Poblano version lurking in my fish taco post.
5. Made this apple cake with salted caramel earlier this week, but was in too much of a hurry to take photos for blogging. A bit tragic, since it was delicious.
6. Cocktail recipes and longform journalism about alcohol? Punch, where have you been all my life?
Update: Turns out, working with alliteration is extremely difficult on painkillers. I kept mixing up "link" and "list" but since my sidebar graphic says "linkable lists" this segment is now and forever just that.
With the redesign, I promised myself I'd introduce more regular content to the blog. Hence, this new segment, "listable links," featuring a list of links that caught my attention this week. Alternately, "sweet shit on the internet," but that wouldn't look good on my sidebar. I'll also be bringing you random photos from my week as well as recommendations (just what you always wanted, more of my opinions). Here's the first week's links:
1. A friend brought me the Port-a-Plant showed in the above picture: cardboard "plants" you assemble yourself. So pretty and a fantastic distraction, I recommend buying this for anyone you know stuck in the hospital, particularly when real flowers aren't allowed!
2. I need these s'more ice cream sandwiches in my life yesterday.
3. If you're in Chicago, and haven't been to a farmer's market yet, what are you even doing with your life? Find one here.
4. Congress is trying to cut the SNAP budget: here's a great take on why that's such a horrible idea.
5. Some of the more unique responses to the Chicago Reader's Best of Chicago surveys. My personal favorite? "Best 4 am bar: lol." Seems like a good response to me.
6. Contemplating a fruit infusion water pitcher, like this three-in-one pitcher. Watermelon or pineapple infused water, anyone?